Friday, May 1, 2009

"i wanted to change the world"


As we were in the Viparita Karani ("legs up the wall") pose at our Thursday night Hatha Yoga class, Lauri the yoga instructor read us this short story. Hearing it made me smile because its subject is the exact reason I started this blog. I'm taking the time to learn a lot of things about my body and the world around me, but what good does it do if I keep it all to myself?


I Wanted to Change The World
By Unknown Monk 1100 AD


When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world. I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation. When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family. Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family . My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, a hearty amen to that. I miss yoga.

    If you don't mind my saying, as you change yourself, you can't *really* keep it to yourself. Blog or no blog, the changes you make surround you and touch others (people, animals, the earth) with every step you take. Your blog, from where I sit, is an added blessing; it's an inside peek at your journey, an invitation to join you on the walk, and an opportunity to see a reflection of ourselves.

    Lots of words to say, I really like and appreciate what you're doing, Lesia -- both your own changes and also the blogging. Keep it up. Growth is such a lovely thing!

    ReplyDelete