Wednesday, June 10, 2009

finding time for it all

I'm taking one (accelerated) class this semester and it is taking up a lot more time than I expected. The gym, along with long walks, yoga classes, and even yard work have taken a back seat to studying. I'm entering into at least 3 years of school being a constant part of my schedule (along w/a full time job), so I can't let exercise slide out of my list of priorities. I hadn't worked out in about a week and already I noticed more fatigue, headaches, irritability, and the desire for more "comfort foods." (Plus my butt feels bigger!) I'm sure some of these negative responses have to do with studying or sitting in class 3 hours a day (book hangover), but I also know from experience that sitting around and not getting your blood pumping for a few days can have the same exact effect.

For months and months I stuck with a particular routine at the gym. I changed up the strength training portion, but the workout was always structured the same way. Run on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes, then work through one of my several strength training routines. I'd be at the gym for usually around 2 hours. There's nothing wrong with this, but as expected...I eventually got bored...and now I flat out don't have that kind of time. I'll be honest...I got less motivated to try to fit in an effective workout, and the frequency of my gym visits have diminished.

So I'm trying to get remotivated and figure out how to effectively workout in less time. One thing I'm doing is trying some new things, just to keep things interesting. It helps that I currently visit three different gyms. Snap Fitness in Ferndale and Chesterfield, as well as Fitness 19 near OCC Highland Lakes where I'm taking a class twice a week this Spring. Each gym offers different equipment, and it's been fun trying out the new stuff.

The Chesterfield Snap, for example has a Woodway...a treadmill with a segmented belt, almost like a boardwalk. I wanted to compare it with the traditional treadmill, so I split my run between the two. I found that the Woodway was almost a little bit more challenging at first, however a bit more comfortable. There seemed to be a little more cushion in my stride, as well as more traction. I'm not exactly sure if the effectiveness of my workout is at all altered by using both machines, but it makes it more interesting!


I haven't run intervals in over a year. I started out that way because I was never a runner, but then worked up to running 2-3 miles at a time (I know this doesn't seem like much to a seasoned runner, but it was definitely an accomplishment for me!) I don't have much time at the gym before class, so when I'm at Fitness 19 in Waterford, I just tried to pound out a 15 minute run (1.5 miles) before I had to get cleaned up and dressed for class. Almost didn't seem worth it. I wanted an effective workout...not just a reason to go to class all clammy and red faced, and since running intervals burns more fat (and gives your heart a better workout) that's what I started doing. Plus, without having an attached TV to distract me from the tediousness of a jog like I do at Ferndale Snap, I find that the constant change in speed and intensity takes some concentration, and is thus more entertaining. There's nothing worse than staring out into a boring parking lot.

So this is Step One in restructuring my healthy lifestyle. I'll tell ya...it was definitely easier pre-school & pre-boyfriend...nothing and no one to focus on other than myself! It was great! But it got old...and boring...and lonely. Now my mind, heart and soul are getting a workout instead of just my body. I'm learning how to equally distribute my efforts to all parts of my life and I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out. (I hope.)

1 comment:

  1. very motivating blog! for me, eating healthy and working out is much easier said than done. You remind me that we're not supposed to do both just to have a slim/great body, but it's actually to take care of ourselves. thanks lesia!

    ReplyDelete