Wednesday, April 22, 2009

gotta get me some cardio

I recently injured my foot and wasn't able to jog (or even briskly walk) on the treadmill. This terrified me because it was really the only cardio in my workout. And one thing I've learned is that cardio can not be ignored. Must must must get that heart beating.

So I looked into alternatives for myself and found a couple I liked. Still not sure if my foot is better...last time I tried running (one week ago) my foot pain flared up again so I stopped. I plan on trying again today...wish me luck. In the meantime I will continue to rotate through my new cardio options. Admittedly, I'm glad that I was forced to look into alternatives because even without the injury it's a good idea to introduce new challenges and keep your workouts fresh.

(Pardon the tangent, but I have to add that this is the reason that I don't believe that Curves-like circuit training is the best option. Don't get me wrong...something is better than nothing, so if that's all you're willing to do go right ahead, but once your body gets used to that routine it will adjust to that level of excursion and you will stop seeing results and reaping the benefits of the cardio & strength training workouts.)

When I can't run, I...

  • Swim laps (I alternate strokes, taking a breather every 2-3 laps).
  • Ride the exercise bike for 30-40 minutes (about 10-13 miles depending on speed)
  • Integrate some movement into my strength training (holding 8 lb dumbbells...squat, stand, bicep curl, raise weights above head, slowly lower weights, squat....repeat. )
  • Vinyasa Yoga

It's taken some commitment to get into these workouts. I had to buy a hideous bathing suit b/c it was the only one-piece sporty one Kohl's sold. (Their two pieces are cute, but not appropriate for laps!) I even bought a swim cap (i look SO cool) because I'm scared the chlorine will fry my hair. I have a rather unfortunate bruise from the exercise bike seat (use your imagination) but I'm sure "it" will get used to it soon.

A couple other ideas that I haven't been using due to lack of equipment:

  • Rowing machine
  • Arm bike

Any other ideas and suggestions are welcome!!



2 comments:

  1. Rowing is an EXCELLENT full-body workout! I was really into it for a while (crushing on the instructor may have been the motive, but does it really matter?). Like most cardio, you can choose to do sprints, intervals, or endurance workouts. Let me know if you ever want to know some parameters for each!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your rowing stint, Danielle! (Joe, was it?!) I wish I could try it but my gym doesn't have a rowing machine. Maybe someday I'll be able to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete