Monday, April 20, 2009

Happy Birthday, Baba!



Today would've been my grandmother's 85th birthday. I've been thinking about her a lot today...remembering how we celebrated with her in years past, and how appropriate it was that her birthday was in the Spring...her favorite time of year.

She never wanted us to make a fuss, but I'm sure secretly she loved the attention. Well, really I think she just loved having her entire family around her. We had lavish gatherings, like when we all went to The Whitney for her 80th birthday; we traveled an hour north to Frankenmuth to cash in her free birthday dinner coupon a couple times; and we had casual get togethers like the year she was in and out of the hospital and we just ordered a pizza (her favorite) while she wore her robe and slippers. That was a tough year. We actually thought we were close to losing her then, but she bounced back and was healthier than ever for the next 2 years.

We saw every birthday as a gift...another year that would be filled with lots of hugs and smiles, great food and more chapters of her incredible life story. We were actually planning on dedicating a website to her, complete with interviews and videos, recipes and photos. We waited too long unfortunately. We thought she'd be around forever. Or at least for a little longer.

I miss her and am so sad that she's not around today. I feel incredibly lucky that she was in my life for almost 29 years, and that when her inevitable time came she didn't suffer.

I love you Baba! Happy Birthday! Многая Літа!



1 comment:

  1. This is so nice, Lash. I remember these photos and still think they are wonderful! You can just tell how much she loves having her family around her in them...

    ReplyDelete